Lifeline Ukraine has been accepting appeals to the suicide prevention hotline 7333 for 4 years. We are a psychological service that accepts crisis requests of varying complexity and provides advice to subscribers and subscribers in the topic of mental health support and suicide prevention.
It's time to remember the rules of responsible coverage of the topic of suicide in the media space.
- It is recommended to avoid coverage of high-profile suicide cases, especially when famous people are involved (now the concept of a famous person has expanded significantly, because many have active accounts on social networks). Do not post photos of the dead, descriptions of methods of committing suicide, the places where they occurred. Coverage of such details fuels curiosity and can provoke fatal imitation.
It is worth publishing material about suicide cases only on the internal pages of printed publications, do not put on the main page of sites, do not make the first plot in the release of television news. This is not a sensation, this is someone's tragedy.
- This information about the case should be presented in an objective, indiscriminate light, with an emphasis on the fact that suicide is the result of exposure to various factors and suicide can be prevented by identifying markers of suicidal behavior in time and seeking help. It is this view that is important for preventing cases in the future.
One should not cover the lives of participants/subjects of history as victims. Instead, attention should be focused on mourning for lost lives and the need to develop a suicide prevention system.
- It is necessary to publish articles on debunking myths about suicide, materials on topics, how to identify warning signs of suicidal behavior, and on ways to solve life problems and difficulties of adaptation.
- If there is information about the presence of mental disorders in people who have committed suicide, it should be made public with great caution. After all, a mental disorder can be a risk factor, but not in every case of suicidal behavior it is.
- It is also not recommended to publish posthumous notes, use religious, cultural stereotypes to explain such an act, and blame other people. However, references and contacts of organizations that provide psychological assistance will be useful, because in Ukraine there are specialized organizations and support services.
Lifeline Ukraine is one of those, and our work does not stop for a minute. Our consultants and consultants provide assistance and support 24/7 at 7333 or in text form on our social networks and website.
Remember! Suicide is not a way to solve personal problems, it is an extreme point of maladjustment that can be overcome and remain on the path of life.